Hostid Mismatch on rpool

bleglord

Sep 6, 2022
This is an odd one, and not immediately important since it was part of a specific "how exactly will this process break things" test and well... we found what broke.

Scenario:

PVE installation disks wiped to simulate complete OS drive failure
PVE reinstallation from ISO
Copy previous /etc/ contents from old PVE install to new as a test for a quick and dirty restore process (not an in depth DR process, just proof of concept)
Everything works except:

rpool now shows "
Mismatch between pool hostid and system hostid on imported pool.
This pool was previously imported into a system with a different hostid,
and then was verbatim imported into this system."

This makes sense, but doesn't seem solvable. You cannot export the rpool to reimport it from a live system, and running a liveCD proxmox debug shell to import then export the rpool from that environment also does not change anything.

Is there any way to solve this? It isn't a harmful error as far as I can tell, but it would be good to know if there is a possibility to fix this just as a knowledge add.

And yes, I know there are better host backup methods, this was a purposeful sandbox test to see what exactly this would result in.

Options that come to my mind (without explicitly trying it):
* do not restore /etc/hostid from the old OS-install (would also suggest to not restore a few other things (/etc/machine-id, ssh-host-keys come to mind)
* if booting fails you should get to a rescue shell (after providing the root-password) - there it should be possible to run `zpool import -f`
(there I'm not sure if this might fail, since it'll try to mount the datasets as well - so maybe you need to run `zpool import -f -N`)
this should fix the hostid mismatch between the on-disk data and your etc contents

I hope this helps!

Hello

I think I found a solution to this problem that I just encountered by carrying out restoration tests.

Bash:
rm /etc/hostid
zgenhostid
zpool set multihost=on rpool
zpool set multihost=off rpool
zpool status rpool

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!