hook script for switching hardware device

mcdull

Aug 23, 2020
My use case is to boot the same OS with different GPU on demand.
The proxmox box I used at home also serves as my desktop. There are 2 nvidia GPU installed and I would like to easily boot the same os with different gpu on different usage and keep idle one for another linux box running some simple AI calculation.

i.e. if I am going to do the office work, movie, youtube, I would boot with a lower end gpu; or
if I am going to do gaming, VR, I would boot with a better gpu.

There is 2 options for me.
1. Without using hookscript, I will write a script to edit the conf file for the vm to select the desired gpu, and activate this command by voice via siri integration.
2. Set up 2 VM with different gpu but with the same disk volumn and uuid, and use hootscript to transplant the other usb / audio devices that will share among the 2 vm.

Which one is the better option, or is there any easier way out? Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!