High Availability with local ZFS storage

Dihaxu

Feb 17, 2023
Hi, I have inherited a Proxmox cluster with a configuration I'm not familiar with, and am trying to get to the bottom of it.

There are three servers in the cluster, each with identical, local ZFS storage.

Replication is set up between them, with a single VM replicating every 15 minutes from one host to another, and every 30 minutes from the first host to the other.

Everything I have read about HA suggests it needs shared storage, or Ceph, but this setup has neither.

There is an HA group configured with quorum, and the single VM added as a resource on each host. The states are "started" for the running VM, and "ignored" for the others. Fencing just says "Use watchdog based fencing."

Is this an acceptable configuration for automatic failover of the VM in case of host downtime? Obviously if it does work there would be data loss based on the last replication time, but I haven't seen anything to suggest this would even work, as everything I have seen talks about shared storage or Ceph.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Yes, using the VM replication feature in combination with HA is a possible way.

The shortest possible replication interval is 1 minute: */1.

The downside is, that in case of a HA recovery, the VM will be accessing the disk image with the data since the last successful replication. The upside though is, that there is no need for a central shared storage which might be a bit overkill (Ceph) or could be a single point of failure (network share to another box/NAS).
Additionally, if the latency between the nodes is a bit higher, the running VM is not impacted by it since the access to the disk image happens locally within the nodes and the replication itself is asynchronous.

Reactions: Dihaxu
Please guys, give me a guide about HA configuration ... I try this configuration and the virtual machines don't boot because they have no quorum. I have to login to the node via terminal and run "pvecm expected 1" to continue booting.... :rolleyes:

Quorum means you always need greater than 50% of your nodes running. If you want to be able to reboot or shutdown any of the two nodes without the other node stop working, you need 3 nodes or 2 nodes + a third machine as a qdevice providing the third vote. That's why 3 machines is the minimum requirement of a cluster.

I would highly recommend that you read this whole article to learn about the cluster basics: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

Last edited:
Hello friends, thank you for your help... ;) I misunderstood the publication of this thread thinking that if it was possible to configure HA with 2 nodes only, however I see that it is not posible... greetings

I have two nodes plus a QDevice on a vm on another hypervisor (ESXi). But you can run the QDevice on a Raspberry Pi. Easy to setup.
HA is working great in the Proxmox cluster with local drives.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!