[TUTORIAL] Hey Proxmox & Community - Let's talk about resources isolation

May i ask how you sorted out your lag & audio issues? I am wrestling with this right now with a windows 10 gaming VM that has usb/hdmi audio popping/crackling under load as well periodic lag in games and my googling has led here
Don't use the GPU's audio function. I use VB-Cable instead for audio inside my VMs

hmm interesting, what do you use to get the virtual device to output on speakers?

this is happening with a DAC over usb-c not the GPU

hmm interesting, what do you use to get the virtual device to output on speakers?

this is happening with a DAC over usb-c not the GPU
I connect to my VMs with Parsec / Moonlight-Sunshine for performance purposes, so I don't need these VMs to output to a physical speaker connected to the server as I use a separate laptop
I have no idea how would you fix this, i'm sorry.

Last edited:
Really really good tutorial @kiler129!!

I created a fork of your script with settings for 5950X here.

I've not quite got it working, moving the main VM PID to the isolated cgroup is failing and I'm not sure why.
Code:
# echo $(cat /run/qemu-server/106.pid) > /sys/fs/cgroup/qemu-decoupled.slice/cgroup.procs
-bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

Hopefully some of these would be integrated into the UI, but I don't see much interest from PVE staff.. (at least nobody posted here 'bout it)

May i ask how you sorted out your lag & audio issues? I am wrestling with this right now with a windows 10 gaming VM that has usb/hdmi audio popping/crackling under load as well periodic lag in games and my googling has led here
A bit late sorry, but have you already tried the proposed workaround from this bug report about kernel freezes in KVM. I remember that this helped me to get rid of some nasty latency issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!