HELP WITH LXC NOT STARTING AUTOMATICALLY AT BOOT

dva411

Feb 13, 2024
I have an unprivileged lxc for jellyfin that supports hardware transcoding and Authentik integration, however, IT NEVER boots automatically. It fails in pre-start. However, when I start it manually, it starts every time and works perfectly. It has bindmounts to a samba share on the host. The samba share is a LUKS encrypted drive that is passed through to an Ubuntu VM, that unlocks at boot with Clevis. That takes a little time for it to unlock, and I'm running Samba in a docker container, so that has a little delay.... I thought it might be a timing issue with the LXC, so I tried delaying the start of the lxc, but that doesnt work. It doesnt matter how big of a delay I put on the lxc, it fails almost instantly on startup (seems the delay doesnt impact the pre-start? Maybe timing isnt the issue in the first place?
:
Code:
run_buffer: 322 Script exited with status 19
lxc_init: 844 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "120"
__lxc_start: 2027 Failed to initialize container "120"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '120' failed

Last edited:
Hello,

Did you check the system logs at the time of one such error?

It turned out to be timing as I assumed. The LXC was starting before the SMB mount on the host was available. I finally came across a thread that indicated that I needed to put the "START DELAY" on the VM that contains samba, not the LXC. I think the verbage is very confusing, but that's how it works. So in this case my order would be VM100 order 0 start delay 60; LXC order 1. I had been putting the start delay on the LXC, and it was having no impact. Apparently the start delay impacts the 'next' container/VM in the order (not the current).

I thought it was working for a while, now the LXC starts, but for some reason my SMB share never finishes mounting on the host. I guess SAMBA isn't available in the VM until after boot is complete on the host. So while my Jellyfin lxc starts, I have to manually mount my CIFS on the host before it can be used. I need a better solution that would wait for smb before mounting. Probably outside of fstab?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!