[SOLVED] Help with H710 IT mode not showing up on Proxmox RAW device

mishanw

Feb 2, 2024
Hi Evryone.

I got a Dell R720 with a H710 HBA on IT Mode.
I installed Proxmox on an SSD that's connected to the SATA port used by the DVD drive (basically moved the DVD drive out and replaced it with a SATA Caddy)

The plan is to run TrueNAS Scale and have access to all the drives on the H710 on IT mode be controlled by TrueNAS.
I found some guides and managed to get IMMOU turned on. The next step was to add the H710 as hardware to the truenas VM. However I do not see the H710 on the list, I can see the Intel AHCI Controller, but not the H710. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help!

I did apt update and apt upgrade and was able to see a broadcom PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS2 card, I can attach that to the VM nowm however
the TrueNAS scale install eroors and ends up looping.

See screenshot and command outputs below:

1707150096301.png

root@prox:~# cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-4-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on

1707150553716.png
1707150583328.png
1707150613242.png
1707150635224.png
1707150667755.png
1707150702980.png
1707150725183.png
1707150748955.png
1707150778154.png

I did apt update and apt upgrade and was able to see a broadcom PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS2 card,
That's good but never run apt upgrade; always run apt dist-upgrade: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#system_software_updates
I can attach that to the VM nowm however the TrueNAS scale install eroors and ends up looping.
Those outputs no longer matter as passthrough appear to be fine on the Proxmox host level. I have no experience with TrueNAS Scale or your particular HBA device, sorry.

That's good but never run apt upgrade; always run apt dist-upgrade: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#system_software_updates

Those outputs no longer matter as passthrough appear to be fine on the Proxmox host level. I have no experience with TrueNAS Scale or your particular HBA device, sorry.
Do you know what the H710 is supposed to show up on proxmox as? I wonder if whatever they used to fash the H710 into IT mode is not quite right?

Whats is interesting with the TrueNAS install is, that it installs fine as long as I don't add the broadcom card as hardware! Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

One more query is that I have the Dell set to EFI and not BIOS, on any VM I spinn up on Proxmox does that have to match with the system or should I use SeaBIOS?

Do you know what the H710 is supposed to show up on proxmox as?
I would say it has to be 02:00.0 "Integrated RAID"

One more query is that I have the Dell set to EFI and not BIOS, on any VM I spinn up on Proxmox does that have to match with the system or should I use SeaBIOS?
If you want to boot from the controller, then that matters. But you can basically install the BIOS for both. But you probably won't let your VM boot from it, right?

I would say it has to be 02:00.0 "Integrated RAID"
Since the H710 is flashed with IT mode, would it still say RAID?

This is what I have selected.
1707164830417.png

If you want to boot from the controller, then that matters. But you can basically install the BIOS for both. But you probably won't let your VM boot from it, right?
I dont think EFI works like you said. Wonder if defining the processor to use "host" matters instead of x86-64-V2-AES that it defults to.

If I install TrueNAS on a drive on the PCI card, then no issues. But when I try to boot into the volume created by proxmox while having the PCI pass though it has an issue with mounting the virtual boot drive and thus goes back to the installer.

For anyone else who had this issue, I raised it up on https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ough-with-h710-in-it-mode.116257/#post-806421

The issue was that the HBA had a boot parameter and it needed to be flashed, Even though the H710 is on IT Mode, the OpRAM has some boot parameters that needed to be nuked in this use case, Since I do not have a need to use any of the drives on the H710 to handle boot volumes, this was key.

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!