Help Please /dev/mapper/pve-root 100%

jonpaul

Apr 3, 2022
Hi all can any one help me with this problem, my /dev/mapper/pve-root has 100% usage i am unsure what is using this space or were to look any advise would be much appreciated.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.2G 1.3M 3.2G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 29G 29G 0 100% /
tmpfs 16G 46M 16G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/sdd2 511M 328K 511M 1% /boot/efi
Local-Proxmox 468G 5.5G 462G 2% /Local-Proxmox
/dev/fuse 128M 20K 128M 1% /etc/pve
tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/0

Thanks Jon.

Last edited:
Sorry i found my problem i had some really large log files in /Var/Log i have removed and my problem is resolved.

Thanks Zippy do you have a link for the noob thread please i will have a read. the large logs have started since i have been playing round with gpu pass-through, i have it working fine on a windows 10 vm with a amd hd6450 with no problems. i have been trying to get it working with a nvidia 1070 the vm detects the card when i remote desktop in and i have installed the drivers but seems to crash, or be working very slow then when i reboot the vm the screen connected to card flickers and then jumps back to proxmox shell screen. i did get the 1070 to work but then when i noticed the /dev/mapper/pve-root 29G 29G 0 100% / i deleted the temp files rebooted server and now the 1070 pass through has stoped working not sure were i am going wrong.

Thanks Zippy do you have a link for the noob thread please i will have a read. the large logs have started since i have been playing round with gpu pass-through, i have it working fine on a windows 10 vm with a amd hd6450 with no problems. i have been trying to get it working with a nvidia 1070 the vm detects the card when i remote desktop in and i have installed the drivers but seems to crash, or be working very slow then when i reboot the vm the screen connected to card flickers and then jumps back to proxmox shell screen. i did get the 1070 to work but then when i noticed the /dev/mapper/pve-root 29G 29G 0 100% / i deleted the temp files rebooted server and now the 1070 pass through has stoped working not sure were i am going wrong.
did you get a solution ? i am facing the same problem... gpu passthrough makes the storage full

change log level and delete old logs you dont need... I had gigs of logs going that killed root for some reason the default was to store to root partition... so I ended up just killing the node... restore to other node any vm I need... migrate all over that I could and restore from replicas on other nodes then I reinstalled PM on the troubled nodes and made sure to add more space for Root and fixed log locations... anyhow it was a pinta for months trying to sort it all out... best thing I did was to just save everything and migrate over or restore to other nodes and then kill the whole hosed up node and reinstall with newest. Total waste of time but I have stable it working great now without old log files and only elevated log levels when needed... As for GPU passthrough - check where logs are being stored - change it... if that is all the issue is for you.. anyhow - the defaults for base PM install is not enough the way it is setup... 2 cents

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!