HELP In upgrade (7 to 8), Gui Broke, VMs but configuration/updates all broken

sassriverrat

Jan 23, 2023
Good Afternoon,

Getting a little desperate because the entire family's system of VMs (running thinclients) are on here but I worry if I just lost all of my finances...

I was trying to update from 7 to 8 last night. Initially, my distro list was my issue. Well in the mix, I think part of the pve daemon got deleted from what I vaguely remember and I've been reading for nearly 8 hours and haven't gotten it fixed. A few of the VMs that were running still are, but the GUI is broken and even simple commands like [I]qm list[/I] produce this:
Code:
root@server2:~# qm list
Can't modify undef operator in scalar assignment at /usr/share/perl5/Convert/ASN1/_decode.pm line 101, near ");"
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Convert/ASN1/_decode.pm line 610.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Convert/ASN1.pm line 438.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Convert/ASN1.pm line 444.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Net/LDAP.pm line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Net/LDAP.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LDAP.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LDAP.pm line 7.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Auth/LDAP.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Auth/LDAP.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Auth/AD.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Auth/AD.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/AccessControl.pm line 28.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/AccessControl.pm line 28.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/RPCEnvironment.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/GuestHelpers.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/GuestHelpers.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/qm.pm line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/CLI/qm.pm line 21.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/qm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/qm line 6.

Pulling my hair out and getting frustrated at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

can you please post the output of pveversion -v and tail -n+0 /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*? That should help determine which packages are borked.
Also, did you use apt dist-upgrade (or apt full-upgrade) to upgrade your machine?

It might also help running apt-get --fix-broken install, which should continue setting up packages if the upgrade process somehow got interrupted.

The problem is in libconvert-asn1-perl package. Try to upgrade it.

I have the same issue, when trying to install only new pve components because of new version of guest system in one of my container.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!