HA Automatic VM Migration During Host Shutdown

33_viper_33

Feb 11, 2023
Good day all,

I'm moving off of vmWare to Proxmox and I'm a bit confused of the HA features. In vmWare, if I were to shut down or put a host in a cluster into maintenance mode, the VMs would automatically move to a different host before the host shutdown or went into maintenance mode. I can't seem to figure out how to make Proxmox replicate this behavior.

I do have HA working. If I were to shut down host1, the VMs shut down followed by host1. Then a few minutes later, host2 starts the VM. So HA is working, but there is still down time. I would think that part of the shutdown process is to migrate all HA VMs first before the shutdown.

What am I missing? Is there a setting or file I have to edit? Perhaps a script that can be attached to the shutdown command?

HI, is right that "migrate" policy work only for active service (VM that are powerd on), but it dosn't migrate VM that are turned off ?
or there is some config for this?
I tested this with maintenance mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!