Gpu Passthrough - Purchase Proxmox Subscription for Help (Nvidia A40)

spyder

Jun 7, 2023
So I have been really struggling to get help and figure out why I can't get my Nvidia A40 to pass into a Windows 10 VM.
There seems to be a lot of guides out there with numerous different settings and I think I have tried them all (I am a Windows person so that is mostly the issue I think).

1. Should I just buy a subscription and would their team be able to help me set things up to be successful?

OR

Anyone in the community willing to work with me to get this working? I have tried to post before but did not really get anywhere.

FYI, the card is in a Dell R7525 with 2 AMD Epyc 7763.

Whats everyone think?

Last edited:
Do you know of anyone anywhere on the internet that had success with passthrough of a A40 to a Windows (10) VM? If you can provide a link, maybe people here can translate those work-arounds or special settings to Proxmox for you. If not, maybe the hardware just doesn't work with passthrough and there is not much you can do.

Are you talking about Windows as Compute only right? (NO graphics mode!)
Hi all, talking about building a Windows 10 VM and passing the GPU into it (or part of the GPU).
I have a Windows 10 Machine running and Nvidia drivers are showing that there is a Nvidia A40. However, using a utility like GPU-z, I don't see any GPU activity on it.

I am running a stress test so should I not see something?
A40.png

Also, Device Manager is showing a missing driver but I don't know what it is.

1690297243623.png

Anyone got ideas?

OH NO. You havent got the correct card for what you need to do :) Sorry

Your card is running fine! I see no error in your Device manager.
A40 is a compute card. NOT a "graphics card". The "A40" graphics card is called A6000.
I know its confusing as you see DP connectors at the back, but I talked to NVDIA about changing the function and they couldnt help. (There an NV tool for switching the card to gfx mode... but it does work the way we need it.. I did troubleshooting with top NV Techs)

I gave back my GPUs and I got A6000s.

What were you planning to do with it? Work or Homelab?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!