Get existing disk into vm

projecttom

Apr 30, 2024
Hi,
I'm just playing and learning with Proxmox in order to convert my home server to proxmox.

In detail I am struggling a bit with the storage concept in term of migration.

On the old system I have separated configurations from data. That is, all data resides on a physical disk with a single LVM partition, one volume group and application specific logical volumes with an ext4 filesystem like for mail, fileserver, nextcloud etc. These are mounted on the host and handled into the various docker containers.
Benefit of this approach is that the data is easily accessible in any kind of emergency und most of all it can be easily backed up using rsync

Now how can I get this data efficiently into proxmox? Either by copying but even more easy by physically moving the disk to the new system.

Note: Most of the current docker stacks will be reimplemeted on Proxmox using a plain debian VM as a docker host. So from that side everything will look very similar as before.
Note2: I like the thin provisioning concept of Proxmox to reduce the cumulated overprovisioning but am afraid fo running out of memory without notice

Thx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!