Files To Backup Before Upgrading From 7.4 to 8.0?

ahriman

Apr 26, 2022
I'm going to try and upgrade my server from 7.4 to 8.0 next week. I've already moved all my VMs, ISOs, containers, etc. to a different volume so that the boot volume only contains Proxmox. I don't have a test server or lab server. Just one production Proxmox server. If things go wrong I'm in big trouble.

What files would I need to backup on my Proxmox volume to restore things if there is a worst-case scenario (i.e. the upgrade causes a irrecoverable loss on my boot drive and for some reason Proxmox 8.0 is not compatible with my server)? I'm assuming /etc/pve/storage.cfg would be a key file.

If I need to go back and restore my 7.4 config after installing and wiping the boot drive from a failed 8.0 upgrade, are there Proxmox config files that I can restore that would let Proxmox detect where all my VMs are stored, how the config on each VM is set-up, networking hardware set-up, storage set-up, etc?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!