[SOLVED] Failed to start a VM with VirGL GPU on a host with a graphics card

kakuni

Mar 20, 2024
On Proxmox VE 8.1.4, I have set VM's display to VirGL GPU in hopes that a GPU will improve a desktop experience.
The GPU used is AMD Radeon RX470 and I followed the installation guide and installed the drivers.

I chose VirGL GPUs rather than GPU pass-through because I do not want a single VM to monopolize the GPU.

However, the following error was output and the VM never started.
The system appears to be trying to use Intel graphics (iris is the name for the Intel CPU's internal graphics, right?).

Code:
MESA-LOADER: failed to open iris: /opt/amdgpu/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iris_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /opt/amdgpu/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri, suffix _dri)
Non-AMD device received in AMD driver.
kvm: egl: eglInitialize failed: EGL_SUCCESS
kvm: egl: render node init failed
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

How do I deal with this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Apparently it was incompatible with the amdpro driver.
By installing an opensource driver, the VM now boots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!