Existing Node - Create new Ceph cluster

puntoboy

Apr 11, 2024
Hello,

I have an existing PVE node that has been working for a few years. Single node, pretty basic, single 128GB SSD. It currently runs two VMs and backs up to my Synology NAS.

1714313954415.png

I have just bought a second node, same hardware, with only an extra SSD (I want to add another SSD to the first node as well).

1714313971131.png

Node1 (existing) us running Proxmox 7.3-4.
Node2 (new) has a fresh install of 8.2.2

I would like to create a Ceph cluster for both nodes (unless you have a better suggestion - not using the NAS for shared storage). What is the best way to do this?

Create cluster
Configure Ceph
Migrate VMs
Upgrade node1 to 8.2.2

Does that sound the best way? Or is there a better way? Ideally I'd like to keep the VMs online a much as possible.

Since you mentioned it, I've been looking into it some more. Seems I need a third device to act as Quorum or a CoroSync QDevice so there are 3 nodes in the cluster.

This is an image I found on this forum which is similar to my setup (just without the WAN doing to OPNSense).

1714335858265.png

Would this setup work?

Is GlusterFS with two nodes not a viable solution for a small home lab? https://jon.sprig.gs/blog/post/2885
It really depends on your skill, comfort level operating without support, and you goal. There are 2 "proper" method to provide shared storage in your scenario:
1. syncronized zfs- https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync. advantages are its easy and performant; the downside is that its asynchronous.
2. external filer such as trunas, sharing either iscsi or nfs.

glusterfs CAN be used, but it's a second class citizen under pve. You can expect stability and potential data corruption issues that you'll have to detangle on your own.

Reactions: bomzh
Since my last post I have been looking at ZFS replication, is that the same as synchronised ZFS? On the face of it they look like the same thing.

I have Synology and UNRaid NAS already for other things, but at the moment I want to keep that separate to Proxmox.

So my intention is a 2-node Proxmox cluster with ZFS replication (zsync) and a Corosync QDevice running as a Docker/VM on Synology NAS. 15 minute replicas should be fine for what I want. I do daily backups to PBS so that's not a problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!