ESP folder on one Proxmox node quite full

G0ldmember

Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Hi,

I'm encountering errors on one node in the Proxmox cluster because everytime there is a kernel update, it fails, because the ESP partition is full. I have to manually mount it, delete one old kernel to make the update work.

I was analyzing why this only persists on one of the nodes and discovered that on the ESP partition in the EFI/proxmox folder, there is:

Bash:
/EFI/proxmox# ls -1
5.3.18-3-pve
5.4.101-1-pve
5.4.103-1-pve
5.4.106-1-pve

This looks like old kernel versions. Current kernel is 6.5.13-5-pve.
The other nodes also have these folders, but not that many. That's probably the reason why kernel updates always fail.

Now the question: can these folders be safely removed? There is none of the kernels installed on the system (not even in rc state).

Is that a place / directory maybe where in former Proxmox relases kernels were stored and this is not required anymore?

Last edited:
Can't you just uninstall them with apt purge pve-kernel-5.3.18-3-pve (and the other's as well)? apt autoremove removes most old kernels automatically (on recent Proxmox versions) for me.

No I can't uninstall them, because they are not installed ;).
Maybe they were installed in the past but as mentioned above, I cannot even find a "rc" entry with dpkg -l for those kernel versions.
Also apt autoremove does not remove those directories.

Code:
# apt purge pve-kernel-5.3.18-3-pve
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
E: Paket pve-kernel-5.3.18-3-pve kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Mittels des Musters »pve-kernel-5.3.18-3-pve« konnte kein Paket gefunden werden.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!