Error Keeps popping up: proxmox kernel: Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!

samsonbull

Jun 1, 2023
Brand new to proxmox and did my first install on an Intel NUC. This error keeps coming up. There are no VMs created and nothing else is running on the system (not shared). Any suggestions? ProxMox VE 7.4.3

Attachments

• Proxmox_Syslog.txt
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That NUC model is old enough to have good support in the default 5.15 model, but not that old to make it uncommon, and thus more likely to see regression from newer kernels.

So, I'd initially suspect memory HW issues and recommend ensuring that the memory DIMMS are plugged in nicely, and running memtest86+ for a while as first step: https://memtest.org/

If it holds up a few full test cycles I'd check for newer kernel, as the one used isn't the newest available for 5.15 and there's also an 6.2 opt-in kernel available to try: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-2-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.124189/

The problem is resolved. Asking the question: what changed? i remembered adding a M2 SSD to the NUC. It had been a while since i updated the BIOS, so as a last ditch effort, i found the BIOS update and applied it. After the NUC rebooted it has been rock solid.

The problem is resolved. Asking the question: what changed? i remembered adding a M2 SSD to the NUC. It had been a while since i updated the BIOS, so as a last ditch effort, i found the BIOS update and applied it. After the NUC rebooted it has been rock solid.
Great to hear – you can mark this thread as solved then (Top right -> Edit Thread -> Title Prefix)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!