[SOLVED] Encrypt logs when stored externally?

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my own backup script to auto upload the backup files to an S3 Compliant provider.
I have chosen to use rclone for this and have created both an encrypted and unencrypted remote for it.

The VM backup file itself is first encrypted by rcone before it is send to the S3 Compliant provider. (For obvious safety reasons.)
For the log file however, it is not so obvious to me on whether or not is should be encrypted before sending it to the S3 Compliant provider.

When I look at the log file itself, it seems to not contain any "problemetic" data that would require it to be encrypted. (And has the benefit that I can just look at the log file without the rclone passwords and salt keys.)
But the log also seems to be very general and may contain "problemetic" data on accident.

So my question is how everyone thinks about this and whether or not the log file should also be encrypted when send to an external source.

better safe than sorry. Just encrypt the logs, and automate the process of viewing the encrypted logs

Reactions: Daniel_Dog

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!