EMERGENCY: Proxmox Server Failure

petrij98

Feb 18, 2024
Help!! I recently upgrade to Proxmox 8 and now, my entire server fails to start. It usually starts with a few ACPI GPIO failures and then it tells me that my ZFS pool for all my home's data is failing to import. Then after reaching the login screen, after about 10 seconds, the entire server crashes and I lose my terminal. I've tried following guides on fixing the ZFS import, but I've had no luck whatsoever. This server runs all of my self-hosted applications, firewall, Smart Home ecosystem, and houses all of my valuable data. Can anyone help??

Help!! I recently upgrade to Proxmox 8 and now, my entire server fails to start. It usually starts with a few ACPI GPIO failures and then it tells me that my ZFS pool for all my home's data is failing to import. Then after reaching the login screen, after about 10 seconds, the entire server crashes and I lose my terminal. I've tried following guides on fixing the ZFS import, but I've had no luck whatsoever.

Can you be more specific:

1. Is this a single node (non-cluster)?

2. What kind of install was it that you were upgrading from (regular ZFS from ISO installer)?

3. What is the boot disk on? What is the layout of the ZFS pool that fails to import?
Maybe include lsblk -a with a brief explanation.

4. What have you done already with the ZFS import attempts (show history)?

5. Attach your log from now a some from the past before it was failing:
Code:
journalctl > boot-fail-log.txt
# then look at some time before when your system worked just fine
journalctl --list-boots

# pick that one past good boot and attach here as well (e.g. -10)
journalctl -b -10 > boot-good-log.txt

Please note you may want to check/sanitize the logs before attaching publicly (for email/public IPs).

This server runs all of my self-hosted applications, firewall, Smart Home ecosystem, and houses all of my valuable data.

The fastest would be probably to install fresh PVE 8 and recover VMs from backups.

Can anyone help??

But the troubleshooting might be interesting.

Hi. In the time since I've read your message, I attempted a fresh reinstall of Proxmox 7.3 (my last known good version). Now, I have come across a whole new issue. I cannot access the server's web GUI or SSH tunnel. A quick scan from Angry IP scanner via my laptop shows that the host does not exist, but I can see the host from my Fiber gateway and run ping, traceroute, and nslookup using its diagnostics tools. Pveproxy and SSH are both working after a quick systemctl check. Additionally, I have tcpdump running on proxmox monitoring 8006 and no traffic is reaching my instance. There are no host or network firewall rules in place preventing connectivity, as I can see other hosts alive on my network via Angry IP.

Last edited:
Hi. I'd really like to (start at least) help(ing) you, but you have done all that and summed it up without replying any of the above. :) You also lost valuable logs by reinstalling over the (supposedly) existing install. Since you cannot access anything now, you would need to take the route of e.g. live booting Debian. I would have helped you do that in this reply already had I known answers to the above (1) and (3) at the least. You can also provide the rest as I suspect you are saying your PVE boots, i.e. you can access the console and e.g. export logs onto a flash memory stick.

You need to describe where you are at the moment and describe what your setup is as well as what you had attempted and did not work (as more damage might have been done by those steps that are hard to predict without one hearing about it).

I can see the host from my Fiber gateway and run ping, traceroute, and nslookup using its diagnostics tools. Pveproxy and SSH are both working after a quick systemctl check
is there vlan ?
have you double checked /etc/network/interfaces ?
is host can ping gateway ?

is there vlan ?
have you double checked /etc/network/interfaces ?
is host can ping gateway ?

Checking the network setup would be a straightforward question for those symptoms, but the OP originally mentions this was just an upgrade of previously running node, now reinstalled it. It's very confusing without some more of the big picture.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!