does proxmox supports fcoe

fikirzerihun

May 24, 2023
I own a C7000 setup featuring BL460G9 servers integrated with an MSA 2050 SAN storage system. The servers utilize HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 630FLB Adapters with FCOE capability. Recently, I installed Proxmox 8 and attempted to connect the shared storage from the MSA to the hosts. However, I encountered difficulties in accessing the LUN from the operating system. previously this setup worked seamlessly with VMware. I would greatly appreciate any assistance from someone knowledgeable in this area

You can not (easily) replace esxi with proxmox, if you have FC/FCoE SAN. There is nothing like "vmfs". With PVE you can have shared storage (LVM) or local storage with snapshots. But not both at same time (shared and snapshots). See wiki https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

@iwik you are correct that there is no built-in solution that comes with PVE install that could provide apples to apples experience for users of VMFS on FC/iSCSI block storage.
There is a number of DIY and commercial solutions that can help. There are quite a few threads on this topic in the forum.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I own a C7000 setup featuring BL460G9 servers integrated with an MSA 2050 SAN storage system. The servers utilize HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 630FLB Adapters with FCOE capability. Recently, I installed Proxmox 8 and attempted to connect the shared storage from the MSA to the hosts. However, I encountered difficulties in accessing the LUN from the operating system. previously this setup worked seamlessly with VMware. I would greatly appreciate any assistance from someone knowledgeable in this area
What kind of switch do you use in your c7000? We use BL460c G9 with FLB630, too. It's connected to SAN HPE EVA 6350 via FlexFabric 10/24 and some FC switch. And it's working.

Hi VirtAngus, i have two HP VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 Modules which supports both FC and IP based connections, i dont have a dedicated FC switch within the enclosure

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!