docker LXC / Helper script / Upgrade ??

ThierryIT69

Mar 28, 2024
Hello,
I have installed docker LXC using the helper script.
During the install, I have been asked if I want to install Portainer, I said yes.
But how to update Portainer when the stack/container doesn't exist inside Portainer ??
Thx

Hello

as far as i know the helper script is not officially supported by proxmox or its staff.

to get help with this maybe try the helper script discussion here https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/discussions

maybe try a VM as it will probably work better with docker. if i need a docker container i spin up a VM instead of a LXC container as far as my understanding is as they are imcompatible with each other.

Never used those helper scripts, but upgrading portainer is done by pulling new versions of the portainer containers via the docker CLI commands.
See the portainer documentation. Its well explained there.
I usually create a bash script for that, so I can stop portainer, pull new container templates, prune old templates, start portainer and fstrim with a single upgrade command.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have followed your advice.
I have build a new VM server, use docker rootless and make wotking portainer :)
It was hard for me, I have to reconfigure all my dockers now.
Thx again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!