Do I need to upgrade my network card driver?

Lucas Rey

May 18, 2018
Hello community, I just installed an intel network card into my proxmox server: X710-T4.
I updated card firmware to the latest one proovided by Intel website: v9.40, not it's time to check the driver, from the proxmox CLI I can see:

Code:
# modinfo i40e | grep ver
filename:       /lib/modules/6.5.13-3-pve/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/i40e/i40e.ko
description:    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection XL710 Network Driver
srcversion:     5B8B0F296D2AC8CBED1EC29
vermagic:       6.5.13-3-pve SMP preempt mod_unload modversions

# ethtool -i eth7
driver: i40e
version: 6.5.13-3-pve
firmware-version: 9.40 0x8000ecb4 1.3429.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:01:00.3
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

Intel support site reports version 29, and inside the packages I downloaded I can see:

Immagine 001.png

I'm a little bit confused, do I need to update my card driver?
Thank you
Lucas

If it works fine and you don't run into any problems I personally would stick with the drivers Proxmox is shipping with PVE.
Otherwise you might add those drivers once and then forget to manually update them over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: louie1961
if it works, you get appropriate speed out of it, and you are not having problems with it, I wouldn't bother. I would simply keep your kernel updated, and use whatever driver it comes with. It could be that a new driver was not included in the kernel yet for a variety of reasons. If it works, I would trust whatever the kernel developers provide, personally.

Thank yout both for reply, I'm experiencing a low speed transfer (download), using pfSense as pppoe router. But from my test most probably I have to open a ticket to my isp. That's why I'm ugrading firmware, and check the driver to be absolutely sure there is no issue on my side, but for now, I'll stick with default driver. Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!