Disable specific keyboard key(s)

abranjith

Mar 27, 2024
Hello,

I am new to the world of proxmox. I just installed proxmox on my laptop and having fun with it already. I do have an issue I am running into with my old laptop where a specific key is broken (it keeps getting pressed by itself which is very annoying). How do I disable just the key with the issue (and not the whole keyboard). I tried following some linux forums and no luck so far. For e.g. running xinput command returns 'Unable to connect to X server error'. What are my options to get this fixed for good (want a permanent solution so that a restart of computer doesn't cause the issue to come back). Appreciate any help and thanks in advance !

Why not just repair the key? https://www.ifixit.com/ has good guides and laptop keyboards or keys are not that expensive.

Maybe just the clip on the key is locked in, when you remove the key cap you'll usually see how the mechanics are working.
Thanks for the response.. I don't think it's a clip issue (already removed the cap and checked).. Not sure what's going on with that 1 key .. also forgot to mention it doesn't happen always .. and at times (even when not in use) it just starts by itself

Thanks for the response.. I don't think it's a clip issue (already removed the cap and checked).. Not sure what's going on with that 1 key .. also forgot to mention it doesn't happen always .. and at times (even when not in use) it just starts by itself
That sounds a lot like a bad electrical contact (eg. temperature dependent). I'd suggest to replace the keyboard, it may harm other parts of your laptop (depending where the spot is).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!