Disable/Delay ZFS Pool Import

NathanTheZealot

Apr 20, 2024
I have a disk shelf attached via HBA to my Proxmox server, with a ZFS array set up on the disk shelf. Every time the Proxmox server is rebooted, it suspends the ZFS pool due to supposed IO errors across all 24 of the drives. So far as I can tell; there are no issues or IO errors with the drives outside of this. The other ZFS pools in the system (from directly attached SSDs) do not have any issues.

From what I can tell looking at the system during boot and reading online; I think that the drives aren't spun up/ready by the time Proxmox is trying to import them, causing the errors.

I did find some posts suggesting you can fix this by adding a "rootdelay" to the grub; but that didn't seem to change the behavior of the system (even when set to 60 seconds).

I'm looking for a way to completely stop Proxmox from automatically importing just the one pool; letting me manually import it after it finishes booting, so I can at least confirm (or not potentially) that the issue is what I think it is.

[As an aside, the motherboard of my system has a SAS controller built into it that does not have this problem. However it only supports a max of 16 drives, which is why I'm not using it. That's part of why I'm not confident of what the issue is.]

Have a look at /etc/systemd/system , and /etc/zfs -- zpool import stuff is in there.

You could try disabling the service and do a manual import in /etc/rc.local but you'd need to document and maintain it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!