Device is ineligible for IOMMU [..] during PCI(e) passthrough on HP Gen8 Microserver

Knogle

Sep 11, 2023
Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I've had successful experiences using Proxmox on various machines in the past. However, I'm currently facing some issues with my HP Gen8 Microserver. I've installed an LSI SAS 2008 HBA with the intention of passing it through to a TrueNAS VM for disk management. Despite enabling
Code:
intel_iommu=on
, I'm unable to pass this device through, and I encounter the following error when attempting to start the VM with the passed-through device:

Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10,rombar=0: vfio 0000:07:00.0: failed to set up container for group 1: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Additionally, in the dmesg output, I see the following message:

Code:
vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0: DMAR: Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement. Contact your platform vendor.

I came across a similar discussion on the Proxmox forum at this link: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...ommu-driver-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/page-8. However, it seems that the mentioned patch is no longer effective with more recent Proxmox versions.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations on how to proceed in this situation. Looking forward to your ideas. Thank you in advance!

Screenshot from 2023-09-11 00-24-46.png

FYI, as of Proxmox kernel release 6.2.16-13-pve, the relax-intel-rmrr patch is now part of the kernel, so you don't need to patch it anymore (see details in Proxmox bug 4707). The functionality is disabled by default though, so you still need to enable it the same way you've done in the past. Configuration instructions can be found here.

For folks still on Proxmox 7.4, patched kernel series 5.15 are available here.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!