Dell R630 Proxmox 7.1-2 - Install Reboots

Netcetera-Chris

Mar 12, 2024
Hello,

This has been driving me insane the entire day - trying to install Proxmox 7.1-2 to match the rest of our current cluster.

Have tried installing from USB and also CD but no luck - it does the "loading initial ramdisk" and then it simply reboots with no error - i have tried all different grub boot options - i have updated the server bios firmware to the latest.

I am out of ideas - i have even tried to pxe install Debian Bullseye which fails.

any and all ideas welcome as this is driving me insane and i have lost an entire day on this.

Hi,

Proxmox 7.1-2
(you hopefully know that already, but:) 7.1-2 is long outdated and does not receive security updates anymore!
I'd advice you to use at least the latest 7.4-x (and possibly) upgrade the rest of the nodes to that version too. Mixing different minor version normally do and should not make any difference.

Have tried installing from USB and also CD but no luck - it does the "loading initial ramdisk" and then it simply reboots with no error
how exactly did you write the ISO image to the USB/CD-ROM?

Could you also try booting a Debian 11 ISO and see if that let's you install it correctly? If yes, you can at least install PVE on top of it afterwards.

Debian wont load either
Made the USB with Rufus DD

nothing to do with the version, tried 6.4 as well - in fact older versions should work better with older hardware...

Getting these in the idrac logs

A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot 3.
A fatal error was detected on a component at bus 6 device 0 function 0.

i have reduced the server all down - removed all the disks apart from the 1 for OS and removed all the RAM apart from 2 stick 2x32GB and also tried swapping them.

I'm out of ideas at this point.

Getting these in the idrac logs

A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot 3.
A fatal error was detected on a component at bus 6 device 0 function 0.

i have reduced the server all down - removed all the disks apart from the 1 for OS and removed all the RAM apart from 2 stick 2x32GB and also tried swapping them.
Then I would contact the vendor (in your case, Dell) and ask them about it.
Esp. since e.g. Debian won't load either, that is a either a hardware fault (sounds most likely) or a problem with their proprietary firmware.

At least it has nothing to do with our ISO and/or Debian, so unfortunately cannot really help you further with that ..

I have done a good search on those errors and give so many different results - ran diagnostics as well and upgrade the BIOS to the latest version 2.19

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!