Converting Gnome-OS virt-manager to proxmox

rupert160

Mar 2, 2024
I'm new to Proxmox (hello people!) and I'm migrating my GnomeOS system from scratch over to Proxmox. It has an unusual configuration that I'm trying to replicate:
XML:
<os firmware="efi">
  <type arch="x86_64" machine="pc-q35-8.1">hvm</type>
  <firmware>
    <feature enabled="no" name="enrolled-keys"/>
    <feature enabled="no" name="secure-boot"/>
  </firmware>
  <loader readonly="yes" type="pflash">/usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
  <nvram template="/usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd">/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/gnome46_VARS.fd</nvram>
  <bootmenu enable="yes"/>
</os>
so far I think I'm close but unfortunately not quite correct with the following:
YAML:
args: \
      -drive 'if=pflash,format=raw,readonly=on,file=/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware/OVMF_CODE.fd' \
      -drive 'if=pflash,format=raw,file=/var/local/nvram/gnome_os.fd'
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
efidisk0: local-btrfs:100/vm-100-disk-2.raw,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=528K
ide2: local-btrfs:iso/gnome_os_installer.iso,media=cdrom,size=3501902K
machine: q35
as I'm getting the following error:
Code:
kvm: -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly=on,file=/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware/OVMF_CODE.fd: machine type does not support if=pflash,bus=0,unit=2
kvm: -drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/var/local/nvram/gnome_os.fd: machine type does not support if=pflash,bus=0,unit=3
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
The paths to the local OVMF_CODE.fd file has been checked and The arbitary empty file I've put on the node at /var/local/nvram/gnome_os.fd to replicate what I did in virt-manager. These nvram are required for this system to start as I've tried to remove these and it hangs failing to find a boot device. Which is the same behavior as I had in virt-manager when I was likewise without these items.

All ideas welcome!

Attachments

• virt-manager_vm.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • proxmox_vm.txt
    746 bytes · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!