Convert ESXi to Proxmox

Jesper

May 1, 2024
Server - 2x CPU / 768 GB RAM / 6x 1gbe NICs / 2x 10Gbe NIC's
Storage - Very High end flash storage
Networking
- 2x Switches for "server access" (iLO / iDrac + back end server network) -- we will call this management
- 2x Switches for "Trunk Network" (VM's live here) -- we will call this VM network
- 2x Switches for "Vmotion" -- we will call this live migration
- 2x Swithces for "iscsi Storage access" -- storage network

Here is what I would like to do to each of my Proxmox servers
For Management I want to setup the connection as a active / passive network -- Bond / Bridge ????? -- this is what I need to have answered.. one IP address lets say 10.10.10.1
For VM network -- No IP but allow all the VLAN's which will allow VM's to run on this network. (Just Trunk Network)
For Live Mgration -- take 2x NIC cards and give them an IP each and then "Bond or Bridge" them together to make it a 2Gb network allowing "vMotion or LIve Migration" Network to be 10.10.20.1 + 10.10.20.2
For iscsi Storage access take 2x SPF+ Nic cards and give them two IP allowing them to "Bond or Bridge" together to make if possible a network IP 10.10.30.1 + 10.10.30.2...
Important here to note, I am using a flat network not two different networks to connect to storage. (I was able to do this using Broadcast)
But I am looking more for how it was done in ESXi where One Nic card can take the load and if it fails it will allow the other NIC card to run both IP's
(This will allow for firmware upgrades of switches and redunancy)

So I am looking for the best guide for Redundancy, network setup, make this as fault tolerant as possible.
-- I want to have the management network seperated to lock down that network for the least access priviledge
Shared storage, a seperate Live Migration network (vmotion) network so my other VM's are not interfered with while moving multiple large VM's from server to server.

-- note some of my VM's are 24 CPU / 128 - 256GB RAM / 2-4TB disk in size

In the end this is all about attempting to move complete data centers away from ESXi to Proxmox.
Right now I am testing and learning, but I am looking for as much input as possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!