Connect VM to outside world - please help

sohaib

May 14, 2011
I have setup Proxmox fine on our local network now how would I setup the VM to connect to the outside world using PUBLIC internet IP address ?

I have setup Proxmox fine on our local network now how would I setup the VM to connect to the outside world using PUBLIC internet IP address ?

MY PROXMOX IP IS 192.168.168.3
I wanted to give my VM an PUBLIC IP - I am not sure how would I do that.

VM PUBLIC IP : 209.221.XX.XX

I will really appreciate your help in this

MY PROXMOX IP IS 192.168.168.3
I wanted to give my VM an PUBLIC IP - I am not sure how would I do that.

VM PUBLIC IP : 209.221.XX.XX

I will really appreciate your help in this
Hi,
one way: create an new bridge, like vmbr1 with eth1(?). Connect your public-net with this NIC, and change the bridge in the VM.

That's all.

Udo

Hi,
use only the bridge-name (vmbr1 or vmbr99, ...) and the assigned device (eth1) without ip-address (0.0.0.0), because your pve-host should not be accessible and need not to use on IP.

After changing the network-config you must reboot to activate this config!

Udo

Hi,
use only the bridge-name (vmbr1 or vmbr99, ...) and the assigned device (eth1) without ip-address (0.0.0.0), because your pve-host should not be accessible and need not to use on IP.

After changing the network-config you must reboot to activate this config!

Udo

Thanks Udo !

After I do the above, I than need to configure the public IP to that VM and I should be all set I assume ... or do I need to set the public IP to that bridge I created and than set that bridge to my VM

Last edited:
I will do that now and update you - thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!