Configuring IOMMU

carsten12

Mar 14, 2024
Dear all,

I tried to enable IOMMU for PCI-Passthrough. I tried with three different machines, all of them now crispy fresh. Nevertheless as I had the same result

• IOMMU not working, there are no IOMMU device groups, popup complains
  • but no real error found in dimes, in fact it is the absence of DMAR messages
As I tried so many things, let me assure that at least I
  • switched on virtualization, but all boards only have that and don't distinguish between VT-x and VT-d
  • am on grub and added intel_iommu=on in /etc/default/grub and it made it into the log and /proc/cmdline
  • added the modules in /etc/modules
  • also tried combinations of iommu=on, iommu=pt, allow_unsafe_assigned_interrupts=1
Being curious whether the absence on *any* other DMAR message is showing that the board/cpu is not supporting VT-d I checked
with in total three boards and CPUs but it is the same picture in all cases, so I wanted to ask whether maybe I made a general mistake.

The combos are:
  • Asrock P5B-DE with E5700 which is clearly not working (CPU doesn't support VT-d)
  • Intel DH67CL with i5-2600T with latest 2018 BIOS
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with i7 2700K and latest UEFI BIOS
So does anybody know a secret switch or are these combos simply too old? What do you think?

Best Regards,
Carsten.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!