Configure MAC prefix via webUI does not allow xx:xx:xx:Y format

thijz

Sep 7, 2023
HI,
I'm trying to set the MAC prefix for our first Prox cluster.
According to the documentation this can be done via the GUI (Datacenter > Options > MAC prefix) and indeed that works just fine, however ...

The GUI only allows me to enter a value in xx:xx:xx: format
According to this document (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/datacenter.cfg.5.html) you can go further and use xx:xx:xx:x

This comes in handy if you want to make sure that there is no overlap between different clusters :
xx:xx:xx:0 = cluster 1
xx:xx:xx:1 = cluster 2
etc

In fact, this way of working is even encouraged in this document : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Manual:_datacenter.cfg

If i modify the /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg file directly and add 'mac_prefix: BC:24:11:0' then this info is immediately available on all nodes, BUT ... the GUI does not show this value : it changes to 'none' and if i add a new network interface to a VM if uses random MAC's, not the BC:24:11:0 prefix ... :-(

This looks like a bug to me (?) or the documentation is incorrect

version info :
proxmox-ve: 7.4-1 (running kernel: 5.15.131-2-pve)
pve-manager: 7.4-17 (running version: 7.4-17/513c62be)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-9

Hi LnxBil,
That doesnt work either : is soon as i go past the 6 first characters (xx:xx:xx) the border around the input field turns 'red', indicating that this is not a valid value
1710164003345.png
I have tried many different formats but it looks like you simply cant specify a prefix that is more than 6 characters

Trying to think of something ....... (though you've probably tried a bunch!)
What happens if you modify the /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg file directly and add 'mac_prefix: BC:24:11:00' or 'mac_prefix: BC:24:11:00:' or maybe 'mac_prefix: BC:24:11:0:'

Last edited:
i tried all the suggestions, but none of these worked ..
i ended up just using BC:24:11: for cluster 1 and BC:24:12: for the second, and so on

Reactions: gfngfn256

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!