Combining Disks

KingAllen

Feb 6, 2024
Hi, how can I combine/add my 3 storage into 1 storage. I have 3x300gb storage and I want to make it 900gb, is it possible to do this?

1709512565618.png
or how can I add this into my existing VM storage without losing my data. Thank you.

Thats a JBOD or raid0 and the PVE webUI won't allow you to do this as this is dangerous (lose one disk and everything is lost...so multiple times higher chance to lose all your data compared to just using a single 900GB disk). You could still manually create that using the CLI via LVM/mdadm/ZFS/btrfs and then add a new storage pointing to it (at Datacenter -> Storage -> Add).

If you do anything other than testing I would get a forth disks to create a raid10 to get 600GB. If thats not an option I would create a raid5 to also get 600GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Thank you for your response.

I create ZFS for 4x300gb and it shows that I have now a 1.19TB, I choose RAIDZ2
1709513642016.png
but when I create a VM it shows that I only have 560.40gb

1709513765697.png

can you explain how this happen? sorry I am new here in proxmox world. Thank you.

Last edited:
I create ZFS for 4x300gb and it shows that I have now a 1.19TB, I choose RAIDZ2
Raidz2 is raid6, so 2 disks for data, 2 for parity = 600GB usable (which you shouldn't fill more than 480GB). The 1,2TB is the raw capacity

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
For such small drive sizes, raidz2 is probably overkill and wasting disk space. You could rebuild it as raidz1

Raidz2 is commonly recommended for spinning drive sizes over 2TB, mostly due to the chance of a 2nd drive failing during rebuild and the time it takes to resilver.

At any rate though, you should always have regular backups of your zfs pool so you can restore if the whole thing decides to go poof

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!