Cluster's node showing "unknown node 'nexus' (500)"

frankennstein

May 9, 2023
Hello, I bought a new mini PC to add it to my home network, this is the first time I am trying to create a cluster. I have followed the documentation how to create new cluster and how to join new node to it. At the first glance, everyting seemed to be working just fine.

On Node1 (Stratios) I can see both nodes up and running, and everything seems looks ok, at least from my perspective. But..when I open the Cluster menu, it shows that there is only one Node, it seems that the cluster has not been created properly or something...

On Node2 (Nexus) I am also able to see both nodes, but when I try to open Datacenter - Cluster there is a continuesly loading screen showing "unknown node 'nexus' (500)". I've tried already restarting pvedaemon, pvestatd, pveproxy and corosync services as I've found few workarounds in the forum, but nothing helps.

Node1 is with Proxmox v8.0.3 and Node2 is with the latest version 8.1.4, I am not sure if they need to be exactly the same versions in order to create the cluster properly.

Any hints?

Screenshot 2024-03-18 190302.png

[ATTACH type="full"]64859[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-18 190131.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 190131.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

first - two-node clusters are unstable and will break, at the very least on the next reboot of either node.
Please have a look at our documentation about Corosync External Vote Support. You can also find loads of information on that topic on the forum.

Second, what's your network situation? Are they directly connected? Do you have a separate network for corosync traffic, also as recommended?
Can you post the output of pvecm status?

Here is the ouput:
Code:
Cluster information
-------------------
Name:             StarForge
Config Version:   1
Transport:        knet
Secure auth:      on

Quorum information
------------------
Date:             Mon Mar 18 19:17:07 2024
Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
Nodes:            2
Node ID:          0x00000001
Ring ID:          1.47
Quorate:          Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   2
Highest expected: 2
Total votes:      2
Quorum:           2
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
0x00000001          1 192.168.0.134 (local)
0x00000002          1 192.168.0.126
root@stratios:~#

Node 1 and Node 2 are directly connected to my home router via WAN. I didn't setup network for corosync trafic.

To be honest I though it will be easier, as much as I am starting to dig in the documentation (yes, I agree that should be the first thing, lessno learned) it seems way more complicated than I was thinking.

Update: I deleted the old cluster, removed the nodes dirs in /etc/pve/nodes and restarted the process. This time I've decided to try to join them using the shell instead of the GUI and...everything looks good for now, at least both nodes are shown in the cluster and in the web interfaces for both hosts, no errors anymore, hopefully everything will run smoothly.

1710787308517.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!