[SOLVED] choose core to use per vm

kikigak

Oct 5, 2022
I have 16 threads cpu, is it possible to select cpu core-thead per vm as follows?

VM1 - cpu thread 1-4
VM2 - cpu thread 1-8
VM3 - cpu thread 5-8
VM4 - cpu thread 9-12
VM5 - cpu thread 13-16

TIA

“The real problem is that programmers have spent far too much time worrying about efficiency in the wrong places and at the wrong times; premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming.”

- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming

Reactions: LnxBil and kikigak
Why would you do such a thing? This is not how virtualization should work. The goal is abstraction not, pinning.
Just want to isolate because I was wondering why only cpu-thread #3 got 80-100 spike most of the time on htop. Thanks

I would think that would correspond to the highest CPU-user in the list.

ETA: If you hit F2 in htop and go to the Screens category, you can add the processor number to the process listing. This might help you determine what is using CPU #3.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!