[SOLVED] Changing SCSI Controller/Disk Controller

mike.spragg

May 19, 2024
Apologies for the newbie question. I've been using 8.2 since Friday and getting used to it. My question is in regard getting the most optimal setup for a "standard" Windows Server 2022. I've worked my way around the controllers and am using VirtIO SCSI and virtio drive specs. However, when I {then} watched the Importing ESXi I noticed the demoer set the CPU to "host" whcih I'd already done but also changed the controller to VirtIO SCSI Single and the disk to SCSI.

I've been OK with adding a dummy disk and booting windows so it sees the controller. However, when I try to change my imported machine from the above to the settings as per video it won't boot (goes to Windows Invalid Boot Disk). Have tried changing boot in EFI but no joy. Any ideas on how to change ?

This graphic should give you an idea. *or* am I worrying about nothing - the performance is just as good on either?

DiskIssues.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for the newbie question. I've been using 8.2 since Friday and getting used to it. My question is in regard getting the most optimal setup for a "standard" Windows Server 2022. I've worked my way around the controllers and am using VirtIO SCSI and virtio drive specs. However, when I {then} watched the Importing ESXi I noticed the demoer set the CPU to "host" whcih I'd already done but also changed the controller to VirtIO SCSI Single and the disk to SCSI.
No need to spend any time on this - re-imported from ESXi and set the options that way.

Just a note, VirtIO block is on its way out. Controller VirtIO SCSI with a disk type SCSI is what's generally recommended.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2022_guest_best_practices

Additionally, if this is resolved, could you set the post flair to 'Resolved'.
Thanks, yes, that’s why I wanted to change. But, I was also looking how to set resolved to my own question, got busy and promptly forgot ! Done now.

However, follow up question:

In the Help it says this:

A SCSI controller of type [I][COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]VirtIO SCSI single[/COLOR][/I] and enabling the [URL='https://192.168.0.45:8006/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_hard_disk_iothread']IO Thread[/URL] setting for the attached disks is recommended if you [B]aim for performance[/B]. This is the default for newly created Linux VMs since Proxmox VE 7.3. Each disk will have its own [I]VirtIO SCSI[/I] controller, and QEMU will handle the disks IO in a dedicated thread. Linux distributions have support for this controller since 2012, and FreeBSD since 2014. For Windows OSes, you need to provide an extra ISO containing the drivers during the installation.

But, the guide you linked to (and I was looking for this for a while) says:

For your virtual hard disk select "SCSI" as bus with "VirtIO SCSI" as controller. Set "Write back" as cache option for best performance (the "No cache" default is safer, but slower) and tick "Discard" to optimally use disk space (TRIM).

And, the video for conversion from VMWare shows at 03:28 and 6:32 the VirtIO SCSI Single controller. So, a little confused about which is best.

However, follow up question:

In the Help it says this:

A SCSI controller of type [I][COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]VirtIO SCSI single[/COLOR][/I] and enabling the [URL='https://192.168.0.45:8006/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_hard_disk_iothread']IO Thread[/URL] setting for the attached disks is recommended if you [B]aim for performance[/B]. This is the default for newly created Linux VMs since Proxmox VE 7.3. Each disk will have its own [I]VirtIO SCSI[/I] controller, and QEMU will handle the disks IO in a dedicated thread. Linux distributions have support for this controller since 2012, and FreeBSD since 2014. For Windows OSes, you need to provide an extra ISO containing the drivers during the installation.

But, the guide you linked to (and I was looking for this for a while) says:

For your virtual hard disk select "SCSI" as bus with "VirtIO SCSI" as controller. Set "Write back" as cache option for best performance (the "No cache" default is safer, but slower) and tick "Discard" to optimally use disk space (TRIM).

And, the video for conversion from VMWare shows at 03:28 and 6:32 the VirtIO SCSI Single controller. So, a little confused about which is best.
Ah, I stand corrected. I'd defer to the PVE OS documentation, so VirtIO SCSI Single. I believe it's recommended because it allows for IOThread, where as regular VirtIO SCSI does not.

Ok, great thanks - and thanks for the document as well. Very new to this but loving it - and the forum/community support.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!