[SOLVED] Cannot upgrade proxmox kernel

Kwantile

Mar 25, 2023
Could someone give me any clues what going on here?

When I installed proxmox I had
Code:
Linux prox 5.15.102-1-pve

Then, after upgrading OS to 8 version it's installed newer version of a kernel
Code:
6.2.16-3-pve

However, I still have the old version.
Code:
root@prox:~# uname -a
Linux prox 5.15.102-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.102-1 (2023-03-14T13:48Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I tried to update with the guide of proxmox but stuck with the old kernel version

Every time when I did something I upgraded configs with the tool and rebooted the OS

1 - I put kernel into manual section in proxmox-boot-tool, still the same
2 - I even tried to override grub configs with GRUB_DEFAULT="gnulinux-advanced-066c6f2a736fc09e>gnulinux-6.2.16-3-pve-advanced-066c6f2a736fc09e" and still the same, nothing
3 - I pinned the kernel I wanted and still the same
4 - The last step that I made was removing the old kernel and still nothing

(NOTE: this server is playground)

There wasn't selection menu for kernels

Code:
root@prox:~# dpkg -l |grep pve-kernel
ii  pve-firmware                         3.7-1                                all          Binary firmware code for the pve-kernel
rc  pve-kernel-5.15.107-2-pve            5.15.107-2                           amd64        Proxmox Kernel Image
ii  pve-kernel-6.2                       8.0.2                                all          Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
ii  pve-kernel-6.2.16-3-pve              6.2.16-3                             amd64        Proxmox Kernel Image
rc  pve-kernel-helper                    7.2-14                               all          Function for various kernel maintenance tasks.

Code:
root@prox:~# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.

Automatically selected kernels:
6.2.16-3-pve
root@prox:~#

Code:
root@prox:~#  proxmox-boot-tool reinit
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
UUID="4423-0349" SIZE="536870912" FSTYPE="vfat" PARTTYPE="c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" PKNAME="sdc" MOUNTPOINT=""
Mounting '/dev/disk/by-uuid/4423-0349' on '/var/tmp/espmounts/4423-0349'.
Installing systemd-boot..
E: bootctl is not available - make sure systemd-boot is installed

root@prox:~#  proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
4423-0349 is configured with: uefi (versions: 6.2.16-3-pve)

Code:
root@prox:~# ls /lib/modules/
5.19.17-2-pve  6.2.16-3-pve

Last edited:
Hi,
Code:
E: bootctl is not available - make sure systemd-boot is installed
From the Release notes:
Systems booting via UEFI from a ZFS on root setup should install the systemd-boot package after the upgrade.The systemd-boot was split out from the systemd package for Debian Bookworm based releases. It won't get installed automatically upon upgrade from Proxmox VE 7.4 as it can cause trouble on systems not booting from UEFI with ZFS on root setup by the Proxmox VE installer.Systems which have ZFS on root and boot in UEFI mode will need to manually install it if they need to initialize a new ESP (see the output of proxmox-boot-tool status and the relevant documentation).Note that the system remains bootable even without the package installed (the boot-loader that was copied to the ESPs during intialization remains untouched), so you can also install it after the upgrade was finished.It is not recommended installing systemd-boot on systems which don't need it, as it would replace grub as bootloader in its postinst script.

Thanks, but even before upgrading to the newer version I couldn't update kernel I made similar post a few months ago. The solution that worked for now was reinstalling whole OS, but seems there is the issue that I'd like to highlight, that may cause further issues. (if it's not just glitches in mine system)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!