Cannot import rpool: more than one matching pool

Jan 1, 2023
Portland, OR
I just switched out my motherboard. I'm doing a reinstall on a system that previous had a Z-2 formatted install of PVE. I'm not sure I got the disks back in the same order, because new cables… but I got this error on the first boot. How can I get this machine back up and running?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• zpool_import_error_on_reinstall.jpg
    zpool_import_error_on_reinstall.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 10
I think I got it, because it said there was corrupted data. I did "zpool import <long string of numbers>" and exit, and it booted… but how do I *fix* it now?

I don't think the drives are damaged, but how do I get the pool back to a healthy state?

Did you wipe the old disks or delete the ZFS filesystem before using them again?
The error message said it found more than one "rpool". It probably finds the old one.

I did not, as I didn't know I would need to. I have 5 drives in this system, 4 of them in the new pool. How do I fix this so that the system will boot normally, without me having to do the manual "zpool import 74823742389472394" every time?

What is the current status of rpool on the running system?
Could you post the output of zpool status and zpool import?

I ended up getting this ironed out.

root@pve1:~# zpool status
pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-CT2000MX500SSD1_2215E62786E3-part3 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-CT2000MX500SSD1_2205E605CB1C-part3 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-CT2000MX500SSD1_2215E627832B-part3 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-CT2000MX500SSD1_2112E58C9D6D-part3 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!