Cannot assign more than 7979 MB of memory.

Cool_Fire

Jan 4, 2013
I'm having a problem with an openvz container. There seems to be no combination of memory and swap I can assign in the interface that results in more than 7979 MB showing up in the VM.

In this specific case I'm trying it in an ubuntu 10.04 amd64 template.

It has 8 GB of ram in it. (Which probably boils down to it being shown as 7979.)
However since I also have a swap partition I'd expect I can assign a portion of the hardware nodes RAM, and then entirely separate of restrictions on ram that I can also assign an indpendent and arbitrarily large fraction of the hardware nodes swap.

There is no swap partition for OpenVZ (OpenVZ just simulates some kind of virtual 'swap')

Yes, not in the container, but I mean I have a swap partition on the physical host machine. And I can assign part of the swap to my openvz container in the VE webinterface.

I can also on the commandline assign swap using vzctl that will show up as swap inside the container for use as cache, but this isn't what I'm after in this case. I want to assign swap to a container to be used, and show up as RAM inside the container it's assigned to.
This is the default behaviour for the VE webinterface, but the problem is that this is hitting some limit which (in my opinion) should not exist. Or at least should not exist at the point where it is now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!