Can I make ISOs available to all volumes?

ronejamesdo

Apr 22, 2024
I have a directory called R6-proxmox-multiuse that allows for everything (ISOs, backups, VMs, etc). (It is on the volume R6 using zfs.)

If I create a new VM Proxmox only allows me to see ISOs stored on that disk, not those stored on another (I confirmed this by adding an ISO to R6-proxmox-multiuse, since deleted):

1713980502355.png 1713980694565.png

Shouldn't I be able to use the ISO on "local" even when I'm making a VM in R6-proxmox-mulituse?

Thanks.

RJD

PS, for the record R6-proxmox-multiuse was made in this way (in case it matters):

zp=R6
myds=proxmox-multiuse

zfs create -o \
atime=off -o compression=lz4 -o recordsize=1024k \
$zp/$myds || exit 99

Then:

Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Directory

With R6-proxmox-mulituse on for the ID and /R6/proxmox-multiuse for the folder.

What do you see listed in the GUI (left -pane under Datacenter), R6-proxmox-multiuse, ISO Images ?

What do you see listed in the GUI (left -pane under Datacenter), R6-proxmox-multiuse, ISO Images ?

Currently nothing (I deleted the ISO there). When I create a new VM, if I am creating it in local I can see the ISO in local. If I am creating it in R6-proxmox-multiuse I cannot see the ISO in local.

Thanks.

Currently nothing (I deleted the ISO there). When I create a new VM, if I am creating it in local I can see the ISO in local
Firstly put it back - so we can test.

Secondly - you have a misconception. You say "if I am creating it in local". PVE will create a VM - meaning locate its own VM disks in the Storage Type of your choice. Selecting the ISO Storage (source) doesn't mean the VM is "located" there. You can select any ISO from any Storage Type (setup correctly & containing an ISO), & the VM's disk(s) on a different Storage.

I suspect, you have not correctly imported the ISO to R6-proxmox-multiuse Storage, correctly.

I see you say; "I can see the ISO in local", local is another Storage location - not your Directory Type: R6-proxmox-multiuse

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Oh, I see, duh. Thank you for your patience. Here I am only selecting where to look for the ISO, a few clicks over I select where the Disk will be.

My apologies. This forum really needs a "total noob questions" category.

RJD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!