Attempting to move a VM without moving the storage that it uses.

dankkster

Jan 24, 2023
I have a 3 node cluster of proxmox 8.0.3 in my home lab. The 3rd node of the cluster is by far the weakest and the VM is constantly shutting down due to RAM constraints. I am trying to figure out a way to migrate the VM from node 3 over to node 2 where it has more than enough CPU and Memory. The problem, however is node 2 doesn't have the 6 hard drives that this VM has to have available to it. In a perfect world, I would migrate to ceph or just move the drives to the other node. The problem is that the drives are 3.5" spinners and the node I want to move it to only has SSD available.

As it stands now, I have the drives added in the hardware section of the VM on Node 3 and in fstab as well (ubuntu-server vm). If I moved it as it is, I realize there is no way my VM would see these drives with that configuration. Or at least I am pretty sure. Im not going to hold my breath for an easy solution to this problem, but is there some way to have the VM on Node 2 and the storage it requires on node 3 without using ceph?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!