AsusTek USB-C2500 not working properly

FiveAces

Mar 3, 2024
Hi,

I added a ASUStek 2.5GBit/s USB Adapter to a freshly installed Proxmox for testing.
I experienced instable network connections and high latency in the connection.

I found this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/d...egotiation-and-only-half-duplex.101761/page-2
However, I followed the steps in various ways but it could not fix the problems. These were my steps:

Freshly patched proxmox (8.1.4), Kernel 6.5.13-1-pve,
As installed I can see the Adpater using "ip a". I can assign an IP and can ping other machines and start ssh. ssh breaks after a number of seconds.
ethtool shows "half duplex" which was discussed as an indicator for the bad performance.
Then I downloaded the driver from realtek (r8152) and just copied the rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d . This did not change anything.
As the rules file did not contain the proper vendorId (0b05) and productId(1976) I added the appropriate line and rebooted.
After that, "ip a" does not show the adpaters anymore. lsusb is ok, inxi -n show no driver.
Finally I compiled the r8152 from the realtek driver package and this did not improve the situation.

My conclusion is that the guide in the other thread may work only for kernel 5.x.?!
Has anybody made this Adpater run or can point me to more diagnosis or fixes?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!