After upgrading to Ceph Reef, getting DB spillover.

BloodBlight

Aug 15, 2022
I have a slightly unusual configuration, but nothing too crazy I don't think. I have 2 OSDs (HDDs) per DB/WAL device. The DB is an SSD and the WAL is a tiny optane, this is on the 3 node cluster using erasure encoding and a custom (something I cooked up) balancing algorithm. Okay, "weirdness" out of the way.

After upgrading to Ceph Reef (not right away, about two days after), I now get this warning:
Code:
4 OSD(s) experiencing BlueFS spillover

Ceph health detail shows:
Code:
[WRN] BLUEFS_SPILLOVER: 4 OSD(s) experiencing BlueFS spillover
     osd.3 spilled over 3.2 GiB metadata from 'db' device (19 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.4 spilled over 4.3 GiB metadata from 'db' device (19 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.5 spilled over 3.1 GiB metadata from 'db' device (20 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.6 spilled over 4.5 GiB metadata from 'db' device (18 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device

Note that the amount spilling over is very small compared to the size of the DB and their respective free space (each having over 50% free).

I checked bluestore_max_alloc_size, it is set to 0 on all OSDs....

Ideas? Things to check?

Last edited:
Reactions: tconnors
Small update to this. OSD 3 seems to have reduced its spillage, while the other increased. There is no replication at this time, and very little IO being done in general... OSD 5 seems to have increased by more than a GB of DB.. This seems really odd.

Code:
[WRN] BLUEFS_SPILLOVER: 4 OSD(s) experiencing BlueFS spillover
     osd.3 spilled over 3.1 GiB metadata from 'db' device (20 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.4 spilled over 4.6 GiB metadata from 'db' device (19 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.5 spilled over 4.3 GiB metadata from 'db' device (19 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device
     osd.6 spilled over 4.7 GiB metadata from 'db' device (18 GiB used of 45 GiB) to slow device

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!