Accessible Storage and Adding it as Resource to other VMs

danielmark_n_3d

Aug 4, 2023
So I have a Proxmox server up and running with Jellyfin and NextCloud containers. I also have a large external HDD that I have connected to the machine running Proxmox to which I mounted to the Node. The way I have been enabling access to these files for Jellyfin and Nextcloud is that I go into the Node's shell and mount the drive to the container via their config files in /etc/pve/lxc/ . This works fine for me but I haven't figured out how to add this storage as a shared folder on my Endeavour machine.

To try and fix this (and streamline the mounting process to other containers), I added the drive to the "Datacenter" as Directory storage. So far so good but when I try to remove the previous mount point and add this new "storage" through the GUI, it asks me how big I want the disk size, even if I'm adding it as a secondary storage. My worry is that if I select this, it will only have access to that amount and if I were to add the whole storage amount, it would delete all the data in there. Am I correct in this assumption? Mounting it via the config file skips this issue entirely and I was hoping for a similar experience here.

This is what I'm looking at when when I try to add the storage:

1691149387552.png

Also- I am receiving a much larger HDD today that I am planning to replace what I currently have so for that one, in this this case, would it be better to create a Turnkey File Server and add that storage in it's entirety and then find a way to connect the other containers to THAT? Also, should I add the storage as a directory again or some other format? It will be permanently connected to the Proxmox machine and used basically as a source for my other containers to access media files and stuff that I am working on, not planning on using it to install containers too, I'm using the built-in storage of the proxmox machine for that.

I appreciate any assistance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!