[SOLVED] A smoother Ceph reset experience

Mar 16, 2024
I really like what Proxmox VE has done for creating a cluster. I'd *prefer* that there be a smoother reset experience for removing and re-adding a node to a cluster than going to the command line, but I can live with hand-jamming a one-liner. Caph is *not* like that - and in general I've found that making a situation easy to get "into the ditch" and hard to get back out of it is *not* a winning product strategy.

Along those lines I've been working on setting up a Ceph configuration that has its own 10G network. Cool, right? And hopefully useful, too. So I connect all of the machines to the cluster over 2.5G, and then I go into networking and set up the 10G ports "by hand"

1714511929460.png

So - thinking that I've gotten "past the hump" I proceed with the Ceph install - which in the Configuration panel brings up an error

Bash:
Multiple IPs for ceph public network '192.168.1.204/24' detected on host1:192.168.1.104/192.168.1.204 use 'mon-address' to specify one of them. (500)

So you have to bail out of that UI to hand-jam a value into the ceph.conf... OK. Except it's *not* OK.

Come back to the Configuration screen and everything is frozen. Step out of that screen by clicking away-from and back-to the Ceph installation dialog and a radosgw error pops up. So *then* I'm like "forget about it - I'll just reinstall and start over" only get get capped on applying the license.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting a Windows-styled Fisher-Price toy experience. But what I *am* expecting is that if you go to the trouble of creating an install wizard experience - that stepping *out* of it cleanly in a known recoverable state should be "table stakes" for production release. [jumps off soapbox] ;)

To my question... is there anything in the screen grab above that is incorrect? And more broadly is there *any* way to use the Ceph install wizard in the web UI with anything other than a single network? If I had to abandon it completely to get the install done - I'm OK with that. Since I'm in a holding pattern waiting for my paid licenses to be reset I can certainly take time to do a deeper dive into Ceph. But I don't want to simply take the longer road if there's a detail missing that would let me get through the gauntlet with the "wizard experience". Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the note. If it's not obvious I didn't realize that was a factor. I thought VLAN sequestration would do it, and would be something I would be able to apply after the initial setup was configured.

I don't really mind either way, I'm just trying to firm up the mental model on link layer versus network layer separation when it comes to setting up Ceph on dual-networked machines. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the sage advice @gurubert ! For now I'm "keeping it simple" and putting everything on the 10G network and letting it ride.

1714790205619.png

Bash:
[global]
    auth_client_required = cephx
    auth_cluster_required = cephx
    auth_service_required = cephx
    cluster_network = 192.168.2.201/24
    fsid = 85620ac2-ba47-4252-9943-a5e331a4146e
    mon_allow_pool_delete = true
    mon_host = 192.168.2.201 192.168.2.202 192.168.2.203 192.168.2.204
    ms_bind_ipv4 = true
    ms_bind_ipv6 = false
    osd_pool_default_min_size = 2
    osd_pool_default_size = 3
    public_network = 192.168.2.201/24

[client]
    keyring = /etc/pve/priv/$cluster.$name.keyring

[client.crash]
    keyring = /etc/pve/ceph/$cluster.$name.keyring

[mon.spkez1]
    public_addr = 192.168.2.201

[mon.spkez2]
    public_addr = 192.168.2.202

[mon.spkez3]
    public_addr = 192.168.2.203

[mon.xan]
    public_addr = 192.168.2.204

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!