Proxmox 1.8 network - bonding necessary?

L

lonegroover

Hi,

I'm moving my Proxmox (1.8) setup to a new data centre shortly, and in the process, am hoping to simplify the network setup. I'm planning to use two switches connected to two independent feeds to the rack for redundancy.

And I've received the following advice from a network engineer at the new data centre:

We can provide VRRP, or we can provide two ports on separate switches both in the same vlan and you can link each switch to each of our switches.

As long as you have no layer 2 connectivity between the switches and the servers aren't configured to bridge the network connections it should work fine.

The trouble is, it looks like the Proxmox servers are indeed configured to bridge their network connections. The main IP address is assigned to vmbr0, which I believe is a standard feature. Here's the network config of one of them, from /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    slaves eth0 eth1
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_mode active-backup

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet static
    address  10.0.1.1
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    slaves eth2 eth3
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.69
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    network 192.168.1.0
    bridge_ports bond0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

So the question is: is it possible to reconfigure this so that the two network connections aren't bridged, or will that cause things to break?

Thanks for any help.

OK. Well I'll try unbridging them, and let you know what happens. Looks like it'll be a learning experience for all of us.

1.8 is very outdated, don´t use it. go for latest 2.1

I can appreciate that Tom but unfortunately getting downtime is quite hard, and I don't have a second box to swing the VMs over to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!