Howto: passthrough USB scanner to OpenVZ container/guest

JimBeam

Aug 26, 2010
Just got this working (well, lsusb and sane-find-scanner in the guest report results):
Goal: passthrough a USB scanner (could also be another device) to an OpenVZ guest.
Adjusted from the USB printing howto from OpenVZ: http://wiki.openvz.org/USB_Printing_in_VE as well as some posts on getting Dahdi/Zaptel devices passed through when working with the Asterisk VOIP PABX.
Using a Canon scanner as an example; adjust where required.

Host USB device name
We want our scanner to have a fixed name that we can forward to the guest. We use udev rules to create an extra, fixed name depending on device. I had also set up sane on the host and set up sane rules so the host device is assigned to the scanner. Don't know if this is necessary, I presume it isn't.

Code:
#Use lsusb to find out your own scanner's vendor and product codes
#<vendor>:<product>... and adjust commands accordingly
lsusb
cat >> /lib/udev/rules.d/99-local-installation.rules << "EOF_DOCUMENT"
#make sure the scanner is reachable under the same name (/dev/flatbedscanner) regardless of USB port etc.
#obviously, adjust vendor and product codes
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1313", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes", SYMLINK+="flatbedscanner"
EOF_DOCUMENT

#Restart udev:
/etc/init.d/udev restart
#Unplug the scanner and plug it in again.
#the device should now appear:
ls -al /dev/flatbedscanner

Host passthrough
Assuming we're using vmid 102; adjust as required.
Code:
# stop machine
vzctl stop 102
#pass through scanner, and save into config for vm 102
#which should create /dev/flatbedscanner in the guest
#with read/write access
vzctl set --devnode flatbedscanner:rw --save 102
#check config
cat /etc/pve/openvz/102.conf

Guest device setup
In the guest, we should now have a /dev/flatbedscanner. However, that is not enough for sane as it apparently expects/looks for/dev/usb/..something.
We will make it happy:
Code:
vzctl start 102
vzctl enter 102
# more or less a random bus, presumably good idea to pick one that doesn't exist; adjust other commands accordingly
mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/001 
# just link the /dev/bus/usb/001/002 device to the device the hosted passed on to us:
ln -s /dev/flatbedscanner /dev/bus/usb/001/002
reboot
#back in host
vzctl enter 102
#now you should see the scanner:
lsusb
#if you have sane installed, try this:
sane-find-scanner
Also, in the guest I set up sane, and assigned /dev/flatbedscanner using udev rules, but I wonder whether this is necessary.

Hope this helps; corrections and confirmations welcome.

COOL .. THANKS!! only difference in with promox 2.1 ( I guess.. ) is the command:

vzctl set 103 --devnode quickwebcam:r --save

compared to

vzctl set --devnode quickwebcam:r --save 103 (unless that was a typo),

But i managed to connect my webcam to a container which will be running Motion..

Thanks again..

Thanks a lot for sharing this!

In my case i am passing through a hashbuster mirco Bitcoin miner to a OpenVZ container.
Still works in Proxmox 3.1 with "vzctl set 109 --devnode hashbuster:RW, --save"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!