Serial Ports

hadyos

Renowned Member
Nov 9, 2008
Hi,

How do I enable Serial port so that I can use it on Windows XP ?
Is it some parameter in XXX.conf ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I just uploaded a new version which supports serial device pass through:

Code:
wget ftp://pve.proxmox.com/debian/dists/etch/pvetest/binary-amd64/qemu-server_1.0-8_all.deb
dpkg -i qemu-server_1.0-8_all.deb

Then you can pass trough any /dev/ttyS*

for example:

Code:
qm set VMID -serial /dev/ttyS0

or multiple devices:

Code:
qm set VMID -serial "/dev/ttyS1,/dev/ttyS2"

Please can you test if that works for you.

- Dietmar

Yes, I'd like to test.
I need to host 3 winxp systems with software that needs a dongle on an lpt port.
Just not sure when I will get a hold of those dongles.

In the Proxmox host you mean?
No idea, I don't have the machines yes, and I never worked with lpt ports before on Linux.

Is that naming dependant of the host hardware? I thought Debian used standard names for devices.

Yes, I will let you know.

On an current debian system I just looked at it's /dev/lp0

I installed qemu-server_1.0-8_all.deb package but is not working as I expected.
In the virtual machine (Windows XP) appeared a new COM port (COM2) but the modem installed on Windows is not communicating with the real device.
On the host machine I tried to see if /dev/ttyS0 is in use.
The command 'lsof -l | grep /dev/ttyS0' give me the following result
kvm 3960 0 18u CHR 4,64 7785 /dev/ttyS0
kvm 3983 0 17u CHR 4,64 7785 /dev/ttyS0
Earlier I made some tests with 'cu' to communicate with the modem and the only way it worked was to put 'uucp:uucp' as owner of '/dev/ttyS0', otherwise it returned the error "line in use'.
So I think that now is maybe a rights problem, but I have no ideas how to solve the problem.

I try this solution to mount into a Windows XP both ports COM1 and COM2 but with no success. Out environment it's based on XEON and not on AMD64. This cam be the reason?:confused:

Thanks for the fix

I haven't test it yet but anyway thanks for the effort. do you think it will also works for Serial-USB converters. It looks in Linux as ttyUSBXX or something of kind.

I'll get back to you as soon I'll check the fix.

As far as I can tell

The fix is not working.

Try to access a serial device from windows xp with no sucess.

Before I used the serial: /dev/ttyS0 I had one COM1 displayed on the Windows XP hardware tab, after I insert the serial: /dev/ttyS0 and rebooted the system the Guest Windows XP didn't see any changes in the hardware tab and of course trying to communicate with the serial device did not work...

I did a full system restart

Proxmox VE server were fully restarted.
Still Windows XP does not reconize RX/TX from the device that connected to the host nachine. (In real hardware machine ther is no problems at all)

OK, so I will mark that feature as experimental until someone debug/fixes that in upstream kvm/qemu.

- Dietmar

Yes, I will let you know.
On an current debian system I just looked at it's /dev/lp0

/dev/lp0 is for usb devices.

Instead load 'ppdev' module:

Code:
modprobe ppdev

then you should have /dev/parportN available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!