Console Performance Help: Putty SSH Tunnel seems to cause VNC cosole refresh issue.

TimL

Apr 27, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Hello,

I am trying to determine if there is a way to speed up the management of VM gui's through the console when using a Dynamic SSH tunnel as SOCKS 5 through putty with Firefox. The graphic refresh rate of the console sessions are very slow even when compared to an RDP session made to a nettop with a Atom D525 & 2GB ram running windows 7 as a host to launch console sessions via firefox. The refresh rate seems to have something directly to do with the SSH tunneling as when I am local to the environment it is very "snappy".

My current configuration:

Connection from Work -> Home (Proxmox location)

Latest firefox
Latest Putty
Latest foxyproxy
5mbit upload speed at proxmox server.

Dynamic SSH tunnel on putty for port 8080
FoxyProxy set to tunnel all traffic for Firefox (including DNS) to 127.0.0.1:8080

I don't know if anyone else is attempting to utilize the solution in this manner or if there is a better / faster (and also free) way that could be suggested.

Re: Console Performance Help: Putty SSH Tunnel seems to cause VNC cosole refresh iss

I know this is an old post, but I'm using the same solution as listed above and figured I'd add to it.

If you have control over the router/gateway at the proxmox server location, you might try giving QOS priority to the MAC address of the proxmox server. This means it gets upload priority over any other service/server on the LAN.

The "snappiness" of the console interfaces is more dependent on the latency of your connection, not necessarily the bandwidth. You can run some ping tests to monitor the latency of the connection. If you are running other services at the server location, this might be affecting the latency as well (ie. torrents, streaming, other). Latency on your local LAN switch will always be small unless you're really pushing the switch to the max.

Also remember, when you're tunneling you are also encrypting/decrypting all the data, which adds overhead/latency.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!