Migrating VM on shared disk when primary server down

timmy

Dec 15, 2010
Hi,

I have a 2 node cluster. DRDB replicating a VM between 2 machines.

When bother servers are up, I can live migrate the VM no problem.

When the server the VM is on goes down, I want to be able to bring up the server on the other running server. How can I do this?

Thanks
Tim

Thanks, Im working on getting Fencing setup for our servers but may not be possible for all.

Are there any options for manually failing over a server if you dont have the technology for fencing?

It sounds simple in my head, but I appreciate things are usually not as simple as they seem.

Thanks

With only two nodes you loose quorum and can not manage anything. There are workarounds mentioned in many threads.

Once you have that fixed I *think* you can do offline migration in the gui.
You can also move the vm config file to the proper folder in /etc/pve/ so you can start it on the other node.

Hi Thanks,

I dont have quorum issues and I have done the howto on setting the cluster to only expect 1 vote (as described http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster).

I can access the cluster but just cant offline transfer that machine, which for my purpose makes it no use having replicated.

I have worked out a work around via your suggestion but it would be nice to be able to do this in the GUI.. possibly it could warn "The host your moving from appears to be offline but could still be running, are you sure you want to migrate this VM" or similar. Obviously this would only be applicable "offline" and only to a host which shared the storage for that server.

I haven't tried this yet but will do so (inc shutting a host down)

(moved VM 201 from host11 to host12 .. where both shared the VMs disk via DRBD)
mv /etc/pve/nodes/host11/qemu-server/201.conf /etc/pve/nodes/host12/qemu-server/201.conf

BTW, Im a big fan and v2 is looking great. I plan to get some form of subscription to support the project

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!