Thread: Transfer software raid to VM

Default Transfer software raid to VM

I think I'm getting myself confused with ProxMox and setting up a VM, and not understanding if the below can be done or not. Could someone maybe help out on the proper steps.

I currently have a small nasbox running Ubuntu Server installed on a 4GB flash drive. And the system has a 4 disk, raid 5 software (mdadm) setup attached to it with all my media kept on it.

Now I want to move that Raid 5 array into a Virtual Machine. I created the VM or Ubuntu Server. But I do understand how to move the Raid Array to the VM. I had thought adding the physical disks to the VM was the proper way, but am not so sure now.

Is there another/better way you would move an existing Raid array?

Thanks
    Paul

Default Re: Transfer software raid to VM

Quote Originally Posted by ptmuldoon View Post
    I think I'm getting myself confused with ProxMox and setting up a VM, and not understanding if the below can be done or not. Could someone maybe help out on the proper steps.

I currently have a small nasbox running Ubuntu Server installed on a 4GB flash drive. And the system has a 4 disk, raid 5 software (mdadm) setup attached to it with all my media kept on it.

Now I want to move that Raid 5 array into a Virtual Machine. I created the VM or Ubuntu Server. But I do understand how to move the Raid Array to the VM. I had thought adding the physical disks to the VM was the proper way, but am not so sure now.

Is there another/better way you would move an existing Raid array?

Thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul,
    software-raid are not supported by pve but you can install it also on pve. But perhaps it's better to use the software-raid inside the guest. Simply define all hdd for the client in the config (in /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf)
    like this
    Code:
    virtio0: local:120/vm-120-disk-1.raw
    virtio1: local:120/vm-120-disk-2.raw

# or with real hdds
    virtio0: /dev/sdb
    virtio1: /dev/sdc
    # the harddisk must be unused by the host!
    Udo

Thank Udo.

I will give that a shot tonight. And yes, I am hoping to just re-setup the the software raid inside the VM and not in pve itself.

I was reading up on adding physical disks to the VMID.conf file from the WIKI here which shows:

ide1: /dev/sdb
    ide2: /dev/sdc

So I take it virtio# will accomplish the same thing? Is there a limit on how many HD's you can add? I know in adding an ide drives your limited to between 0 - 3. And my I already have a 4 disk array with plans for a second one.

Just test it out and it looks like I can accomplish recreating the 4 drive raid array with virtio since it accepts upto 6 HD's from viritio0 to viritio5. But what if you had a 10 disk raid array? It looks like your limited to maximum of 6 disks?