Hang on reboot when stopping vz service

e100

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ulbuilder.wordpress.com
I have two nodes with identical hardware running the latest Proxmox 2.1 fully updated
These are two brand new nodes, installed proxmox and joined them to existing cluster, they have no KVM or OpenVZ containers running on them.

When rebooting one of them it hangs when stopping the vz service.
The specific thing hanging is "modprobe -r vzrst"

EDIT: This does not seem to fix it, the problem happens randomly and this does not help at all:
When it hangs if I issue the command "/etc/init.d/open-iscsi stop" or if I do that before I try to reboot it does not hang.
I am not using any iscsi devices.

EDIT: It only seems to hang to 2-3 minutes when it hangs. It also seems to only hang every other reboot.

The other machine, with identical hardware installed from the same media is not having this problem.

Any idea what is wrong?

Last edited:
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I notice this was never answered/resolved. I now find I am having the same problem.

My config:
- Proxmox VE 3.0 with all updates from the stable repository (no pvetest).
- ZFS
- Samba
- Added drivers for a Mellanox ConnectX-EN 10Gbe card

All VMs are KVM. I don't even need OpenVZ at all. No containers used. VMs & ISOs are local disk on a ZFS pool.

On shutdown it gets to "Shutting down OpenVZ: " and then hangs forever on the "modprobe -r vzrst".

Would really like to get this resolved so that shutdowns could be clean.

I'll check this evening. But normally, "modprobe -r <unloaded module>" simply returns immediately rather than hanging.

Also - this is for shutdown on a system that doesn't even use OpenVZ. Do I risk anything by just commenting out the "modprobe -r" from the /etc/init.d/vz script? It can't do any harm not to remove a module from a system that is just about to power off - and the chance that I'd ever do a "vz stop" or "vz restart" is pretty much zero.

Even if I just comment out the modprobe I'd really like to understand why it hangs...

If you are certain of that you will never need the driver you could blacklist it.

create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ named blacklist-vzrst.conf containing: blacklist vzrst

Should prevent it from being autoloaded.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!